26.11.08

Philosophy of a Space Hippy

I've been wanting to make more posts about EVE online. It's one of the few MMOs in existence that I feel any great passion for. One of the reasons for that passion is that it captures, in my opinion, better than any other game on the market the concept of a space for players to be in. What I mean by this is that while there are certain iconic overarching goals in the game, you can just as easily choose not to follow any of those goals. On top of that, your interactions with other players are varied and powerful, how you deal with people, and how you present yourself in-game can have long lasting effects on your ability to accomplish goals later. And even beyond that, you can just get on and chat with people you know while mining some veld and still call it a good play session.

When it comes to "How I EVE", I'm a very undirected person. I know there are people who swear by EVEmon, but I try and avoid it wherever possible. I prefer to find a suitable short term goal and spend my points there, then I'll find things I want to do better and train up the related skills. Not necessary in sequence. Because of this, I advance through skills much slower than many other people, some might say I'm at a disadvantage. But a disadvantage against what, or whom?

The simple fact is that right now I can pilot a BC, on my main, to an acceptable skill level, and am working on getting both of my characters into mining barges. Once that is done, I'll have enough steady ISK income to more than subsist on, and I can focus on getting both their skills up to snuff in the myriad of areas that I see them needing to get shored up in.

Anyways, expect more posts from this space hippy at a later date. Oh and by the way, I'm working on a comic. It's been a long time since the last time I could say that, but I think I've really grown to an acceptable level of skill to take it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment