11.8.08

Star General



The game that started it all for me. No it wasn't my first game, Xargon holds that honor, nor was it the first to really hook me, Jill of the Jungle. Star General was the game that made me sit there and say to myself, "I want to make games!"

Star General was an iteration on SSI's Panzer General series, though I didn't know that at the time. It was hex based space and ground warfare, you would have to move in and wipe out an enemies fleet, then bring in troop transports to conquer the land. It could be pretty punishingly tough at times, but the primary gameplay was always pretty simple. The game drew me in with how the races not only looked different but played different, despite sharing the same basic units across multiple races.

Most of all, just seeing the game in my cd case is enough to bring a smile to my face. A big thanks to allt he great folks at SSI for bothering to make the Panzer General Series.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried Stars!? It was a turn based space game that was very minimalistic for its time. You could also play with friends by mail.

    It was a fun space game for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, can't say I ever had the privilege. Where would I look to find it these days?

    ReplyDelete